Please take this survey to report your visits to your registrars, legislators, the WLRT Evening Strategy Session, and the WLRT itself. LWV-VA Election Modernization Grant Survey
Respond diligently to Action Alerts that will come to you via our online newsletter. Alerts will come to you with a script so you know what to say or email (calls preferred.) Pay yourselves at least $10 for each Action Alert. Fill out this simple form when you have completed an Action Alert.
Create a members' spreadsheet with their districts to help LWV-VA with our Action Alerts. Complete this form if you created one: Members' Spreadsheet Survey here.
LWV-VA recently received a grant to advocate for AVR (Automatic Voter Registration). We're excited about this grant and how our LLs (local leagues) can benefit by advocating for AVR, with promotion of redistricting reform and no-excuse-needed absentee voting (NEAV) as an added benefit.
1. Fund members to come to Richmond for at least one of the WLRT days--Jan. 18 and 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15,--the night before, as they start at 8:30 a.m. You will have a special rate at the Berkeley Hotel (804.780.1300) and $10 valet parking. Come to a "strategy session" (with heavy snacks) between 7:00 and 9:00 p.m. at our new office board room, 1011 E. Main St., one block from hotel. If you arrive by 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, visiting the Senate Privileges & Elections Committee (P&E) Meeting is a valuable experience as they deal with election issues and it can earn you more money.
2. Attend the WLRTs, before or after which you visit your Delegates and Senators (should definitely make appointments ahead of time), try to see the Member in person but at least the Legislative Aide, and leave behind the materials provided. You will also have FAQs to help with your presentation. This may take only a few minutes. Definitely try to schedule a meeting before 8:30, though some legislators have committee meetings at 7:30 or 8:00. *The location of the WLRT may not be known until the day of. Ask the ladies at the information desk where you enter.
3. Attend either a committee meeting (see P & E above) or observe the legislative session at noon. (Morning committee meetings end in time for legislators to go to caucus at 11:30.) You can buy a lunch in the deli one level up and eat in House Room 3 on the main floor of the Visitors Center and watch the session with other Leaguers and compare notes. You cannot eat in the Senate room across the hall but the Senate session can be viewed there.
4. Complete the simple online survey forms as soon as you can. Copies of the surveys will come both to your liaison and the state League. We need to know how we are doing. You would need two copies of any paper forms; one for your liaison, one for any state board member present. Best to do it online. Here is the link to complete it online: LWV-VA Election Modernization Grant Survey
Promote AVR and other election causes (if you have not been briefed in Richmond, your envoys will need to have the strategy materials on hand) in your locality by doing some of these:
1. Visit your legislators in the local offices to explain AVR and other election related issues and leave behind the information sheets provided. Complete survey and submit: LWV-VA Election Modernization Grant Survey
2. Check in with your local registrar to ask about what their biggest challenges are, what legislation they would suggest or support to improve the process, and ask their reaction to AVR. Complete survey and submit: LWV-VA Election Modernization Grant Survey
Tuesday evenings, January 17, 24, 31, from 7 to 9 pm Tuesday evenings, February 7 and 14, from 7 to 9 pm
Location: The Strategy Training Sessions will be held from 7 to 9 pm, LWV-VA Office, League of Women Voters of Virginia, 1011 East Main Street, Suite 214A, Richmond, VA 23210. LWV-VA Office Telephone Number: 804-447- 8494 The Women's Legislative Round Table (WLRT) will be held:
Wednesdays, January 18 and 25, 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Wednesdays, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
Location: The WLRT will meet in the General Assembly Building, 201 N 9th St, Richmond, VA 23219. Note that the room location will change from week to week.
Hotel Reservations: The Berkeley Hotel, 1200 E Cary St, Richmond, VA 23219, has a special room rate for members of LWV-VA who attend the WLRT, including $10 valet parking for those who stay at the hotel. Their website is http://www.berkeleyhotel.com/. Their phone number is Phone 888.780.4422 | 804.780.1300. You must book at least five days in advance for the rate. The Berkeley Hotel is located one block from the LWV-VA office where the strategy sessions will take place.